On Jan. 3, 2023, the legislative candidates North Dakotans chose to represent them become lawmakers.
During their time at the Capitol, North Dakota's state legislature meets to propose, debate, modify, and reject hundreds of bills. It’s important to remain in contact with these lawmakers to share communal concerns and demand accountability.
Between now and the start of session 2023, you might be asking yourself, “what can I do?”
Listed below are tried-and-true ideas to get your legislative advocacy journey going, but keep in mind your version of civic engagement may look different. (And that is totally OK!) Everyone has a part to play in our collective liberation. Regardless of how you show up, your effort has a huge impact.
Here are some tips to get you started:
Research your lawmaker
- If available, review their voting history
- Review their campaign website and note any relevant goals or campaign promises
- Take stock of what matters most to them and keep that in mind when you're reaching out
Connect with your lawmakers
- Call your lawmaker
- Write a letter or send an email
- Set up an in-person meeting or a virtual one on Zoom
Support local advocacy efforts
- Sign up to remain informed on actions with the American Civil Liberties Union of North Dakota
- Connect with advocacy groups like the North Dakota Human Rights Coalition, Prairie Action, and the Red River Women’s Clinic.
Looking for more? Learn about the legislative process and how you can get involved by downloading a copy of our legislative infographic.